By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Dijon Chicken and Mushrooms with Asparagus
This dish reminds me of great meals I had in France and is very easy to put together. Rich, creamy mustard sauce, sauteed mushrooms and shallots served over a bed of delicious Walla Walla asparagus. Pairs well with our Floating Balance Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 small bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- 4 oz chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 oz heavy whipping cream
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1/4 lb white mushrooms sliced
- black pepper
- dried thyme
- Fill a sauté pan about 3/4 full with water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Wash the asparagus and snap or cut off and discard the woody ends.
- Once the water in the pan is boiling, add the asparagus an cover. Cook until bright green and tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain and thoroughly rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Slice the chicken in half horizontally to form thin fillets. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add butter (1 tbsp butter, unsalted)to the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the chicken and cook until golden grown and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate
- Wash and slice the mushrooms. Peel and finely dice the shallot.
- Once the chicken has been removed, add another tbsp of butter to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and shallot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and any liquid has evaporated, 5-6 minutes.
- Peel and mince 2 cloves of garlic.
- Add the garlic and 1/2 tsp of thyme and cook until fragrant, 15-30 seconds.
- Add the broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Stir in the cream and the 1 tbsp of Dijon and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and bring to a boil. Simmer until the sauce is thickened, 4-5 min.
- Arrange asparagus on a plate and top with the chicken and mushrooms. Enjoy.
To make the dish even more authentic, use Maille Whole Grain, Old Style Mustard.